Aston Martin confirms RapidE's battery pack - Aston Martin Rapid E Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Aston Martin confirms RapidE's battery pack

Thanks to a new tweet from Aston Martin CEO Andy Palmer, we finally have an idea of what battery pack will be used on the companies first EV. The RapidE will be using an 800v battery just like the upcoming Porsche Taycan. They didn't confirm the batteries range or charge time, but the same pack in Porsche's EV can charge to 80% in just 15 minutes on a supercharger. This large battery probably means we will see a bunch of lightweight carbon fiber components.

Last edited by Idris; 08-23-2018 at 02:19 PM.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 05:25 PM

Porsche also offers Carbon Fiber wheels. For top tier brands like this to deliver on performance a consistent carbon fiber theme would go a long way. Supercars had it for many years, sure seems like time for more mainstream segments like this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 09:27 AM

Glad to see we're finally getting some developments on this model. I had some concerns over whether or not it would see the light of day after their partnership with LeEco fell apart.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
Glad to see we're finally getting some developments on this model. I had some concerns over whether or not it would see the light of day after their partnership with LeEco fell apart.
I think it might have something to do with the upcoming Lagonda going green. A lot is riding on Aston Martin right now as they revamp the brand. This Rapid E will be the first higher volume electric car to hit the market. Not too long after we should expect to see the Lagonda.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

As happy as I am to see the Lagonda return, I'm really not a fan of the odd design in the concept. Its really just the tail end that I think needs to be reworked. I like the suicide doors and the large glass panelling.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idris View Post
As happy as I am to see the Lagonda return, I'm really not a fan of the odd design in the concept. Its really just the tail end that I think needs to be reworked. I like the suicide doors and the large glass panelling.
Get used to it because the Lagonda was always a long-tail and long-nose vehicle. What will really matter is how that concept translates into a production version.
Aston Martin does well in other segments, sometimes having the most attractive designs so I'm not too concerned.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 12:48 PM

I'm not all that concerned with how the concept looks, because I know its going to change pretty drastically prior to production. Just glad to see that AM is reintroducing classic nameplates. Bring on an electric Zagato.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

I agree, if there is anything that this concept proves, its that there is an interest/demand for classic inspired designs. I'll bet that similar to what Jaguar has done with the E-Type Zero, we'll be seeing other premium brands follow suit.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 10:30 PM

That's the great thing about electric power these days, cars don't need nearly as much aerodynamics going on. I have seen Tesla's at the drag strip run completely stock. Yet you find people in ICE cars going as far as taping all the panel gaps to squeeze every 10th of a second they can!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page