Aston Martin Varekai SUV Concept - Aston Martin Rapid E Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Aston Martin Varekai SUV Concept

So we know that a lot of the premium brands are currently expanding into the SUV segment and it looks like Aston Martin is following suit. It looks like their first SUV will be known as the Varekai and we have some early concept images of it as well. Its more than likely to be sold as a 4 door SUV but we can get a good sense of some of its styling cues. It should be longer and ride higher imo.

Last edited by Dimitri; 03-20-2018 at 02:31 PM.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 06:57 PM

Aston Martins biggest problem is their products can come off as boring which in this case, as I imagine it transitioning to a production model, might also be the case here.
However if it ends up looking like the below... then things will turn around for them:

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 11:44 AM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder in this case as Aston Martin's models have always looked refined to me in a simplistic way. There are more exciting cars out there with an abundance of ridges and folds, yet people are still buying Aston Martins.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

I mean they've never built an SUV/crossover before, so I wasn't expecting them to venture too far from styling cues found in their cars. I actually don't mind the looks of this concept, and I'm curious on what they will offer in terms of powertrain. I know Lamborghini recently mentioned that they want to test the Urus' off road capability.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 08:35 AM

Can't really imagine any of their current PowerPoint lineup being used in an SUV, they all seem a bit overpowered for the intended purpose. Maybe borrow the Vantage's engine?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 12:29 PM

Aston MArtin won't be coming out with an all-electric powertrina because it seems to have been scrapped, or so Motor1 says. It'll still get gas powered engines and a hybrid system, but no pure electric.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Perhaps they are just waiting on a fully electric model until it becomes cheaper to manufacture, as this is an entirely new venture for the company. A hybrid system is probably the best route to go, as it will still provide that boost to efficiency and off the line acceleration.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 12:27 PM

Perhaps they're waiting for other automakers to test the waters first for performance electric SUVs instead of taking the plunge. There's definitely a demand for coupes and sedans, but not so much large SUV EV with enough hp to put pure gas cars to shame.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavingRapid View Post
Perhaps they're waiting for other automakers to test the waters first for performance electric SUVs instead of taking the plunge. There's definitely a demand for coupes and sedans, but not so much large SUV EV with enough hp to put pure gas cars to shame.
I can't see them doing otherwise because unless the bigger brands do it then odds are the segment here won't take off but fortunately BMW and Mercedes are getting involved. Then even lower brands like Infiniti are slowly entering. Launching closer to the mid 2020's will ensure they get off to the right start.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page