Aston Martin Cygnet - Aston Martin Rapid E Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Aston Martin Cygnet

I don't know how many of you are familiar with AM's Cygnet city car, but they recently pulled off something pretty spectacular with it. Somehow they managed to equip it with a 4.7l V8 from the Vantage S, which has given it some insane figures. Consider the crazy power to weight ratio, this little commuter car is capable of doing 0-60 in 4.2 seconds and its putting out a whopping 430hp. Talk about a sleeper car.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 11:11 PM

Cool product for sure but didn't make sense at all. Was just as much of a flop as the brand this platform was derived from, Scion. Funny enough now Scion is dead.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 01:25 PM

Saw this thing at Goodwood and it sounded like an absolute monster. Though I agree and don't really see the point in a high performance commuter car. Guess AM just wanted to prove that they had the engineering capability to make it work.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idris View Post
Saw this thing at Goodwood and it sounded like an absolute monster. Though I agree and don't really see the point in a high performance commuter car. Guess AM just wanted to prove that they had the engineering capability to make it work.
what they should however do is come out with a compact that can rival the Mercedes A-Class/CLA.
AM would be in a unique position in that segment regardless of who competes.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

I would love to see how exactly they accommodated this powertrain into the Cygnet. I would imagine if you popped the hood that you'd see a very interesting layout. AM really needs to start developing new V6 and V4 engines. As we move towards EV's those will be more than capable with hybrid systems.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 01:22 PM

It looks like the folks over at Motor1 we're extremely eager to get behind the wheel of it, and they dropped a little video showcasing their thoughts on it. Apparently it was built as a one off model for a customer.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 05:26 PM

I recall seeing people that have come from bigger RWD cars talk about the need for smaller RWD vehicles that are fun to drive.
It might be the reason why car makers like Toyota, Nissan, etc. want to get back into this space, much like how they were in the 80s and 90s
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

I wouldn't say that any of those models are true commuter vehicles like that of Smart Cars, Fiats or this. The Scion IQ was comparable but unfortunately that brand is now defunct. It's a shame too because I feel like it had great potential.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
I wouldn't say that any of those models are true commuter vehicles like that of Smart Cars, Fiats or this. The Scion IQ was comparable but unfortunately that brand is now defunct. It's a shame too because I feel like it had great potential.
If launched under Lexus it could take on a level of success similar to the SmartCar. With car sharing there should be a boom of compact 2 seater cars especially in city centers.

B-segment vehicles are few in North America but consumer needs are slowly going that direction.

Production LF-SA priced around $28-30k will give Mercedes Group something to worry about

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page