Update from Williams - Aston Martin Rapid E Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Update from Williams

WILLIAMS REIMAGINES EV ARCHITECTURE WITH FW-EXV

Good news form Williams Advanced Engineering, their FW-EXV platform (which they're planning to use in Rapide E) gets plenty of carbon fiber, smart cooling system.

Quote:
The FW-EXV is Williams Advanced Engineering’s take on a lightweight, flexible, and scalable battery electric vehicle platform. In terms of format—a central under-floor battery pack with the ability to package e-motors at either end—FW-EXV breaks no new ground. What makes it interesting is its carbon-fiber intensive construction, and innovative approach to battery cooling and packaging.
I think this platform will easily knock out other competitors in EV market. What do you guys think?
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 10:40 AM

The first concern that came to mind was cost when carbon fiber is involved, but it looks like they have a process to mass produce the parts while costs low. The specifics escape me, but if Aston Martin can take advantage of the platform, then the RapidE could become the leader in performance EVs.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

I don't think that Aston Martin is concerned about the price of their Rapid EV, since they announced only 155 cars to be produced. 155 is a small number and I think that even with a huge price tag Rapide E will be selling like hotcakes.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 03:39 PM

Good point. I did forget that the Rapid E was going to be a limited production model and those don't really have a price cap so long as its performance is up to par.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 12:36 PM

Price point is always important, the only difference here is that it will be priced in proportion to the fact its coming from a luxury brand. Being a $200,000 MSRP vehicle, odds are we could see the electric version cost as much as $240,00-250,000. Anything beyond that will begin to drastically reduce buyer volume.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Anything beyond that will begin to drastically reduce buyer volume.
Not sure here. As I said, it doesn't matter if the price won't fit masses, cause it's only 155 models and I'm more than sure that all of them will find their owners, because of the small number.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze2 View Post
Not sure here. As I said, it doesn't matter if the price won't fit masses, cause it's only 155 models and I'm more than sure that all of them will find their owners, because of the small number.
In a way it does matter because even though its limited what they are doing in the process is setting the stage for something produced at a much higher production number.
One thing a car maker can't escape is pricing a product within whats reasonable, this is so much the case that some car makers end up losing money on every product sold.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 10:53 AM

Aston Martin can charge a premium and people would still buy it, especially if it's the company's first electric performance vehicle. They won't lose money on sales. Maybe the Rapid E will pave the way for an electric SUV.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 11:52 PM

I thought this would be part of the current ending generation but its part of the next gen Rapide. So on that point AM might be setting some easy goals for themselves but leaving themselves open to adjusting the production number. Rare are those numbers set in stone anyways.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page