RapidE to be built in Wales - Aston Martin Rapid E Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

RapidE to be built in Wales

Aston Martin has confirmed that the Rapid E will be built in a brand new facility in Wales, that will serve as their new hub for EV's. Alongside the Rapid E, this new center will also produce the DBX crossover as well as all future Lagonda models. The company has already announced that they hope to offer an electric powertrain for all of their vehicles by the mid 2020's.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 02:43 PM

Aston Martins success is tied to how much production goes on in its home market. Of all brands out there they would have to toughest time telling customers these were built in India or China.

Lucky for well established brands with strong followings like Mercedes, they don't have those constraints.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 02:20 PM

I didn't realize that Aston Martin had confirmed a production version of the DBX. Hopefully this new facility means that there will be less restrictions on the numbers of models that they can produce in a given year. The Rapid E is likely to be sold out before we even get a chance to see it testing.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idris View Post
I didn't realize that Aston Martin had confirmed a production version of the DBX. Hopefully this new facility means that there will be less restrictions on the numbers of models that they can produce in a given year. The Rapid E is likely to be sold out before we even get a chance to see it testing.
A growing global reach and growing number of wealthy people throughout the world will see to it that Aston rises, just as long as they make products people want. Problem is most products are mundane and lose appeal.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Well that's the case with most high end performance cars. You need to buy in early if you have any interest in picking one up. I do wonder that since Aston Martin is moving towards electrification if that means we'll see the Cygnet return as an EV.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
Well that's the case with most high end performance cars. You need to buy in early if you have any interest in picking one up. I do wonder that since Aston Martin is moving towards electrification if that means we'll see the Cygnet return as an EV.
compared to what i'm seeing from Mercedes and even upcoming brands (once again) like Alfa Romeo, its easy to see how Aston is lagging behind.
helping to shift my view so far are new product like the DB11 and the new Vantage. now we just need to see more main stream and higher volume products.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 03:19 PM

Aston Martin will never provide high volume vehicles, and that would only result in greater issues related to quality control. The Cygnet was a pretty neat little commuter car, but I think even in its prime it only sold a few hundred units.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 05:35 PM

I think AM can very well do high volume sales if they position themselves to do so. Alfa Romeo is an example of how a low production brand can climb those ranks.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Alfa's don't start at $150k though and that's going to be the biggest obstacle that AM would face if they ever wanted to transition to mass market models. We have seen with the newest Vantage however perhaps the greatest value vehicle the company has produced.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page