Aston Martin to electrify classic models - Aston Martin Rapid E Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Aston Martin to electrify classic models

Aston Martin will be following Jaguar's lead with the E Type Zero and will be offering reversible electric car conversions on classic models. The first car to receive this treatment will be a 1970 DB6 MkII Volante. From what they have learned on the Rapid E, they have managed to develop a self contained unit that there are internally calling a 'cassette' that sits on top of the original engine and gearbox. There are no pricing or specifics so far, but the electric motor is said to be good for 295hp and provide around 170 miles of range. https://www2.motorauthority.com/news...s-classic-cars
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 02:43 PM

This is great news and a much needed new direction for AM. There is a huge interest in restomods these days and I think EV variants of classic models are a great way to breathe new life back into outdated platforms.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 04:44 PM

Contrary to what people used to think, these classics have a better fighting chance going forward than they ever did. In addition to going electric, 3D printing will make parts easy to get.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

I wonder if they will be offering kits for anyone who owns applicable models or if you'll have to buy one of these models new. I'm sure that this bolt on system would across many of their classic cars, so we should see any expansion outside of the DB6 MkII.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 12:01 PM

If it is a true bolt on system it may have been designed specially to fit with the contours of the DB6. But I'm sure they wouldn't need to make any major changes to make it applicable for other models as well.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 05:48 PM

If done right they could very well be the next high prized vehicles to hit auction blocks when they show up.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

I'm interest to see how these kinds of classic restomods hold their value. I know that this is an area of weakness for traditional EV's, but that might not be the case on such limited production models.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idris View Post
I'm interest to see how these kinds of classic restomods hold their value. I know that this is an area of weakness for traditional EV's, but that might not be the case on such limited production models.
Models like these will always have ready buyers for the simple fact that now they're more relevant to the changing times in the auto sector.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 11:56 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about depreciation as there is a huge interest in electric conversions right now. I do wonder whether any AM dealer will be able to work on them should you run into issues.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page